Friday, November 15, 2013

Influenster : Rose Vox Box


If you haven't figured it out by now, I sometimes get free boxes o' stuff because of websites that I use. One of those websites is Influenster, which is kind of difficult to explain rather than to say that they are a mass accumulation of reviews of products, but all types of products. If you want to check out the site, you can go to www.influenster.com


I "qualified" for their Rose Vox Box, which was kind of billed as a fall box full of fun samples. It came to me in a very nice, bright pink, box and upon opening it, it had all of these lovelies inside.

(missing the Belvita Breakfast Biscuits.... because I ate them)

In my box, I received:

  • Kiss Gradation Polishes
  • Rimmel ScandalEyes Retro Glam Mascara
  • Lindt Lindor Truffle
  • Belvita Breakfast Biscuits
  • Dr. Scholls Cozy Cushions

And now that I've had this box for a bit, I can give you some educated opinions on the items. I'm going to skate over the two food items because this isn't a food blog. So, the food? It was yummy. I don't have a picture of the Belvita biscuits because I ate them as soon as I got the box. I also ate the Lindt truffle, but luckily that came in a bag that my dog didn't immediately destroy. Food = good.

The next thing that I'll talk about, but only briefly are the Dr. Scholls inserts; which I have also thoroughly enjoyed. In fact, these are probably my favorite thing out of the entire box. I just bought some new rain boots and I shoved these in there to provide some nice "cozy cushion" for my feet. They're pretty awesome and since I wear a size 10, I didn't have to cut them down to fit in my shoes. A+ for the cushions, I would definitely buy them if I had another pair of boots that could stand some cushion.

On to the beauty items!


I used this mascara for about a week, so I feel like I can give you some pretty firm opinions about it; it's really just a "meh" mascara. The brush is a modified hourglass shape, but that's probably the only intriguing thing about it. I don't know if it's just my tube, but the formula was pretty dry to begin with, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was for this. The bristles on the brush are really close together, so it's hard for your lashes to fit in between the bristles; this means less product on your lashes. The dry formula in addition to the tightly knit bristles means that your not getting much lash action. 


(photo from Rimmel)

The statement on Rimmel's website is this: "Bold, wide-eyed false lash look. Hour-glass brush shaped to the lash line to plump lashes, fanning them up and out for bold, wide-eyed volume. Coats lashes individually for a big, false lash look in one simple stroke. No clumps!" Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on most of those claims. It did not plump them, fan them, or create volume. I would skip this and if you're already at the drugstore, just go for some Maybelline Full N Soft.


And last, the Kiss Gradation Polishes. This took a little bit of figuring out exactly how to use it, but I did like this concept. Since ombré has proven to be the trend that never dies, I think it's safe to say that ombré nails are still pretty on trend. The idea here is to paint your entire nail with one shade, then 1/3 of the nail with the darker shade, and then layer the glitter topcoat to get a seamless gradation. Sounds simple, but it's a little harder to execute.


First and foremost, you need to use a base coat and top coat with these polishes. I painted my nails with these and had every intention of taking a photo, but they were already chipped the next morning (I painted them at 9 p.m.). I'm sure the life of the polish could be extended with a good base and top; positive of it.

The thing that made this application somewhat tricky is how fast the polish dries in step one and two. The polish is thin to begin with, which is actually preferable to me for gradation work, but it starts to dry in about a minute.Since the polish dries so quickly, you have to be speedy with step three unless you want a clear cut, obvious line where your gradation should be. I messed up my first hand, but on the second hand, I realized it was easier to apply step two and three finger by finger.

It's fun to do if you want to sit down for a manicure and at $6.97, it's not too horrible a price point. I don't think I would buy this for myself, but since the polishes are so quick to dry and are fairly sheer, it might make a nice gift for someone younger.

And that was my Rose Vox Box. I don't think that there was anything too mind blowing in this box, but the Dr. Scholls were awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment