Monday, June 24, 2013

Beauty Box Roundup : June 2013


It's that time of the month again... no, not that time; time for beauty box roundup! I'm still subscribed to three beauty services and they are Ipsy, Birchbox, and Blush.com's Mystery Beauty Box. Keep reading to find out their monetary values and what I got this month!




Ipsy

First off the block is Ipsy and their theme this month was "On the Wild Side", hence a leopard print bag. 


And the contents! I received: J. Cat BeautySparkling Cream Palette, Starlooks Lipliner, Cailyn gel liner, NYX blush, and J. Cat Beauty false lashes (+ glue). In my typical sense, I'm not going to do a review of the products, because that's not the point of these posts, but I am going to offer my opinions on them. 

I received a Cailyn liner last month in my blush.com box and I really do like it and I'm pleased to have gotten in a less natural color this time. The NYX blush came in Angel, which is a really pale pink blush and I don't think it's really going to show up on my skin very well even though I'm very pale. This was the first item that I pulled out of the bag and thought "What?". We filled out beauty profiles with our skin tones and even though mine says fair, I don't think this is a suitable blush color. I also do not have "natural" selected as one of my looks, so I don't really think that they're using the profiles to the full extent. 

The two J.Cat Beauty items are nice in concept, but are probably nothing I will use. I can't fault Ipsy for the lashes, they have no idea that I have incredibly long lashes, but the glitter palette is a different story because it's just awful. Anyone here who has ever owned or used one of NYX's glitter palettes knows how horrible they are and these are the exact same item. You get a few pieces of glitter and nothing to make it stick to your skin. It's a complete shame because the colors are gorgeous.

And the last item, the Starlooks lip pencil, I also enjoy. It's in the shade Tipsy which is a very bright coral shade and will work perfectly with several lipsticks that I own.

Monetary values:
Starlooks Lip Pencil: $12
Cailyn Gel Eyeliner: $21
J. Cat Beauty Sparkling Cream Palette: $4.49
J. Cat Beauty False Lashes: $3.99
NYX Blush: $5
(all full sized)

Total Value of Ipsy June 2013: $46.48

If you want to sign up for Ipsy, you can use my referral link here or simply visit the website here.

Birchbox

Birchbox's theme this month was "Wanderlust" and followed a travel theme.


Off the bat, I could see that I received a Davines Shampoo, Suki Exfoliating Foaming Cleanser, and Youngblood Hi-Def Hydrating Mineral Perfecting Powder. In my small green box, I had a sample of Davines conditioner, Davines Oil, and a Color Club nail polish.


At the bottom of the box, there were postcards with different cities on them! This was a very cute touch on Birchbox's part and made me smile a little bit. Everything in here is definitely smaller than what I got in my Ipsy bag, but I was more excited for this box... which is why I always say "monetary value" and not just value. Even though my Birchbox is worth way less than my Ipsy (you'll see down below), I am so much more excited to try all of these products. 

The Color Club nail polish is a fantastic color (it's called Reign in Spain), but I would have been happy with any of the four colors that they sent out this month. I also like that they included a setting powder which will be perfect to test out for the summer months. Going along with the idea of summer, I'm psyched to try the exfoliating foaming cleanser because I need a bit more exfoliation in the summer.

I've also been dying to try to the Davines line and almost spent $20 for a sample of the shampoo and conditioner on Barneys.com. Granted, the shampoo is the only large sample, but the conditioner foil actually has quite a bit of product in it and the oil, is well, oil.

Monetary Values:

Color Club nail polish: $2 (comes in a 4 pack/$8 on birchbox.com)
Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo: $10 (I'm taking this value from Barneys.com)
Davines Love Smoothing Conditioner: $1.41 (full size is 8 oz. @ $27.50)
Davines Absolute Beautifying Potion: $1.03 (full size is 4 oz. @ $40)
Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser: $2.06 (full size is 4 oz. @ $32.95)
Youngblood Hi-Def Hydrating Mineral Perfecting Powder: $1.94 (full size is .35 oz @ $40)

Total Value: $18.44

So, like I said, worth way less than my Ipsy, but I'm waaay more pleased with this. 

If you want to sign up for Birchbox, you can use my referral link here or simply visit the website here.

Blush.com Mystery Beauty Box

And last, but not least, the Blush.com box. I don't believe that this box has a theme, but Blush.com always keeps in mind what time of year it is and sends out products relative to that.


This month's box came with: Hydroxatone Revitalizing Microdermabrasion, DHC Clarifying Pore Cover Base, Decleor Aroma Cleanse Youth Cleanser Duo, Glytone Sunscreen, Miracle Skin Transformer, Supergoop CC Cream, Pevonia Enzyme Peeling Gel, and Stila Lip Glaze. Not all of the products are full sized or even what I would call deluxe sized, but the variety makes up for it for me. I also didn't see the Pevonia item listed on my card, so I don't know if it was supposed to be included (it isn't the free sample they send with each order, that was another item).

I only have opinions on a few of these products and some I've never even heard of, so I'm generally excited to dive into this box. I've actually received 3 of these items in Birchboxes in the past, but I can't hold that against Blush.com since they don't know that. The Miracle Skin Transformer is basically makeup for your body and when I got it the first time, I wasn't very interested. Also, the packaging is always sticky on this item; it was sticky in this box and it was sticky when I got it in my Birchbox; weird. I got the CC cream last month (or the month before) in my Birchbox, but I liked it, so I'm happy to have another one of these in my possession. And the last item that I've gotten before is the Stila Lip Glaze; which will probably be given away. I love Stila, I hate lip gloss; it's just that simple. 

As for the other items, I think that, again, these are great for summer. I'm digging the fact that they sent out sunscreen since I haven't gotten that in any of my other boxes! The youth cleansing items seemed weird at first glance, but one part is actually a milk cleanser and I think that it will be interesting to try something out that will be so gentle. 


I am most excited about these two products though; the DHC Pore Cover Base and the Hydroxatone Microdermabrasion. The DHC product looks like it has silicone in it, but it promises to keep skin matte, so I'll be interested to see if that's actually true. Like I said about my Birchbox, I love to exfoliate in the summer (I still only do it a few times a week... even though I would do it every day if it were healthy), so the Microdermabrasion scrub will be nice!

Monetary Values:

Glytone Sunscreen Spray Mist: $39 (full size)
Stila Lip Glaze: $22 (full size)
Hydroxatone Revitalizing Microdermabrasion: $29 (full size)
DHC Clarifying Pore Cover Base: $19 (full size)
Decleor Aroma Cleanse Youth Cleanser Duo: $3.84 (full size is 6 oz. @ $39/each)
Miracle Skin Transformer Body SPF 20: $14.12 (full size is 1.7 oz. @ $48)
Supergoop CC Cream: $2.02 (full size is 1.6 oz. @ $32)
Pevonia Enzymo-Spherides Peeling Cream: $4.35 (full size is 1.7 oz. @ $43.50)

Total Value: $133.33

You can check this box out at blush.com.


And there you have it. What do you guys think, anyone out there wanting to sub after this? Any questions or comments, let me know down below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment