Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara : Product Review



When this mascara came out a few months ago, I remember that my friend Becca sent me a text and asked me to buy it and review. At the time, I said no because I had about 6 different mascaras lined up to use and review, but somehow, someway, this bottle of Revlon Lash Potion mascara wormed its way into my basket at Target (ok, I basically got it for free due to a sale and coupons). Is this mascara any good? Does it make your lashes as pretty as the bottle looks? Keep reading to find out my thoughts on it!



Let's start this review with a little bit of information about the mascara that I was using previously. I was using Covergirl Clump Crusher and if you read my review on that, I was initially smitten, but then a bit dismayed as it seemed to take layers upon layers to get my desired look. Clump Crusher also has a plastic brush with very short plastic "bristles"... basically the complete opposite of this mascara. Revlon Lash Potion is a spoolie brush that they call an "Illusionist Wand"; the bristles vary in length in parts of the brush so that it can supposedly give you length and volume without clumps.


I hope that you can tell by this picture how ginormous the brush itself is and if you can't, let me tell you, it's ginormous. It's honestly about the size of my eye, so it kind of feels like I'm using a giant's mascara wand. The issue a monstrous brush creates is that of mascara on your eyelids. I feel like I'm fairly competent when it comes to putting on mascara seeing as how I've been doing it for a good 15 years, but I managed to get mascara all over my lash line every time I used this mascara. That, combined with the issue down below, are the reasons I think I'm done with this mascara.


I got this in the regular formula in color 001, Blackest Black, but this also comes in waterproof. I do not like waterproof mascaras and I typically don't have an issue with mascara running down my face despite my oily skin. However, this mascara pools under my eyes even if I don't put it on my bottom lashes. It doesn't start to migrate after hours and hours of wear either, it starts to move around on my face after about two hours of wear. And it really shouldn't be an issue of foundation either since I'm wore exclusively Revlon foundation when I tested this mascara. 

I'm not saying that this mascara will migrate on everyone; if you have dry skin, it might not budge on you at all, but seeing as how it migrated on me when that is typically never an issue points to problems.


before mascara


after mascara (and some very light eyeliner)



As for length and volume, it does a decent job at both of those; it's nothing that blew my mind but it definitely didn't suck either. So, if you want to use this mascara, I would highly recommend picking up the waterproof version. I, personally, am going to count this as a loss since I don't use waterproof (and before anyone asks, I hate the removal process and I'm unwilling to put the time and effort into it) and I don't want mascara migration every time I use it.

Mostly, I think that this mascara is a pretty bottle with a lot of issues that need to be worked out.

Anyone else out there used this mascara and have an opinion? Let me know down below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)



No comments:

Post a Comment