Friday, February 1, 2013

Face of the Day : February 1


Occasionally, and not very often, I will wake up and a makeup idea will come into my head and I have to execute it that day. This morning, I woke up with the color pink in my head and thought it would be fun to play with pink shadows. The color pink is often hard to wear around the eyes because it gives a really sickly appearance if the shade isn't right. I chose to go bold and just do pink all over. Click through to read about what products I used and more full look pictures.



This is pretty much all the stuff that I used on my eyes; I didn't picture the items that I use every day, which is my Tarte primer and Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser. Here is the breakdown:

1) I started with this NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Cottage Cheese (gross name, good product). This particular pencil has a pearl finish, but they also sell this in Milk which is matte. I chose the pearl finish because my shadows were shimmery anyway. I applied this first so that the pink colors would really pop on my eyelid rather than disappear into my skin tone. If you ever want your vibrant shades to really pop or any eyeshadow to appear more like it does in the pan, apply a white base to your eyelid.

2) I then moved on to the Kat Von D True Romance Eyeshadow Palette in Mi Vida Loca.  The light pink shade and the light gold shade have the most shimmer, while the rest of the shadows only have mild shimmer or are matte. I went in first with the darker pink shade and patted that on my lid from lash line to crease. I then went in with the light pink shimmer and put that on the inner third of my lid. I went back through with the purple and blended just a little bit into the crease and put it below my lower lash line. Lastly, I went in with the light gold shade and put that in the inner corners and on my brow bone to highlight. (all shades used are "circled")

3) After using the Kat Von D palette, I went in with Woodstock by Urban Decay and applied that into my crease and just a touch on the outer corners. I took a bit more of the light gold from the palettes and blended the edges.

4) I decided to use my Eyeko Skinny Liner in Black today just to switch things up a bit. It's a felt tip liner pen and it has great color payoff.

5) A new product! Well, I actually bought this in October or November, used it once or twice and put it away. This is the Revlon Photoready Eye Primer + Brightener. Since I've been sleeping really poorly these last few days... er, week, I have been rocking some horrible dark circles. I saw this today and realized that it's kind of peachy toned and decided to apply it under Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser. The combination is awesome and it really helped tone down the blue tones under my eyes. This might have to join my daily product arsenal.

I completed my eye look with, what else, They're Real by Benefit. That's going to be my mascara for the next month or two until my sample dries up and then on to the next one! Here is a close up of my eyes.


One thing that I absolutely love about pink shadows is that they make my eyes look really green. I have a pretty non-descript eye color and shadows help bring out certain shades. You can also see a little bit of teal on my lower lash line! I put a lot of that on yesterday for the tutorial and I just couldn't get it all off :(


Since pink was the theme today, I went with pink blush too. I picked up my other Milani Baked Blush and this one is color 01, Dolce Pink. This blush is a very rosy pink with gold shimmer swirled throughout. It leaves a really pretty flush on your cheeks and the pink isn't overpowering. I had a lot of pink blushes to choose from, but this one was the prettiest without trying to compete with my eyes.


And the lips! I used two products on my lips today after I did a sugar scrub. My lips are still cut up from getting hit in the face, so no close up pictures for the time being. 

1) I applied my MAC Viva Glam Nicki lipstick first. I applied it straight from the tube and then went in with a small brush to make sure that it was even.

2) I then went over that with Revlon Colorburst Gloss in Strawberry. Revlon has stepped their game up when it comes to lip products, so if you're ever looking for something new, step into the Revlon aisle.




And there you have it! Would you guys ever go for a monochromatic look? Let me know in the comments below!





2 comments:

  1. Do you apply the NYX pencil directly onto your lid, or do you use a brush? Also, do you have any issues with the pencil decreasing the staying power of your eyeshadow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. I apply my primer underneath it and that helps a lot. I've had it one my eyes now for about... 8.5 hours and there's no creasing or fading. However, this might be more of an issue for the summer when lids are oilier by nature.

    I coat the whole lid with the NYX pencil directly and then smudge it in a bit with my finger. If you have a brush that you use for cream shadows, kind of a short domed brush, I think that it probably work well.

    ReplyDelete