Friday, January 18, 2013

Better than False Lashes : Product Review



Better than False Lashes : Too Faced


False Lashes. These two words may strike fear into your heart. In fact, I think that out of all makeup products, there are two that terrify people the most. One being the eyelash curler, which I fully understand*, and the second being false eyelashes, which I used to fully understand. False eyelashes don't scare me, I think that they're actually fairly simple to use, but I get why people don't like them/don't know how to use them. If you've ever worn falsies, you know that the process of putting them on/taking them off can be a little time consuming and some days, you just don't want that. Since eye makeup is my absolute favorite thing of the makeup world, I was intrigued when I found the Too Faced Better than False Lashes product. I put off buying this for a long time because, well, it's expensive. This system is $35 and I really didn't want to buy it and then be disappointed. Keep reading for a full review and fun-sized tutorial.




Like I said, I put off buying this because it was $35, but then I got a $20 off coupon from Sephora and this was the first thing I thought of to buy. This is a two part system and it's incredibly simple to apply, but in case you don't get it or need further instruction, there is an illustrated, 3-step tutorial in the box. That tutorial is, of course, augmented by photoshop or false lashes, so don't look at it and think that's what you're lashes are going to look like. 

Part one of the system is just normal old mascara, although they say that it's an "activating mascara base & top coat"... it's just mascara you guys. I'm not a huge fan of the mascara that comes in here, it's fairly thin and it doesn't do much volume or length wise. I guess since you're going to be doing something fairly funky to your lashes after you apply the mascara, they didn't think that you needed anything lengthening or volumizing, but I disagree. I'm fairly certain you can use any mascara, but I use this one since it came with the set.

Part two of the system is nylon fibers that you brush on top of the mascara. When you pull this out of the tube, it looks like dust bunnies wrapped around a spooly brush. I don't wear contacts, but I have heard from other people that it can be a bit of an issue if the fibers fall down and get in your eyes. So, if you are a contact lens wearer, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

Let's get to the bite-sized tutorial so you guys can see what's up.


Alright, so here are my naked lashes, which look really blonde... my lashes aren't blonde. They're actually dark brown and so are my eyebrows, so I'm thinking I'm washing myself out pretty well with this lighting. Hooray! I am skipping the "just mascara" step because you have to apply the nylon fibers when the mascara is still wet so that they have some to adhere to. 


Here is a photo with those nylon fibers! Looks like I got into a fight with a dirty Swiffer.


And with another coat of mascara. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of the mascara that comes with the kit, so I used They're Real over the top. The only thing to be aware of when doing this step is that the nylon fibers will partially come off on the mascara wand. It sucks, but it happens, so if you love your mascara, don't use it for this. 


Here's a picture of my other eye with just the mascara. So, you can see that there is a difference between the mascara eye and the fancy eye, but I don't know how much I care. I'm always intrigued by stuff like this, but I only realize later that I'm not really the intended audience. I'm going to say a few things here that will make you short lashed girls hate me: I have long, thick, dark lashes. I don't need a product like this. I just wanted to try it sooooo much. It does build volume, I will give it that, but it doesn't do that much for length. It definitely gives you a little more length than just mascara, but I don't think it's enough for me to recommend a $35 product. I think that just applying to coats of mascara might have the same effect.

Anyway, here are a few more pictures from other angles.





(what it looks like from a distance)


A few more comments about this product. There is a cheaper version of this available at Ulta and it's made by Essence. I've never used it because it's always sold at my Ulta, but I've heard good (and bad) things about it, just like this set.

Also be aware that this can get sticky and I literally mean sticky. I took a nap a good 6 hours after I had used this the first time and when I woke up, all of my lashes were stuck together in weird and unfortunate ways. I don't know if that's a product of what kind of mascara you use or if it's from the nylon fiber/mascara combo. This was the first time that I used a different mascara for the top coat, and touching my lashes right now, they don't feel sticky at all.

My reaction to this? I think this is fun to use because it's different and weird, but if I hadn't used that $20 off coupon, I probably would have thought of returning it.

Have you guys tried this product yet? What did you think of it if you have? Let me know in the comments below!

* I get eyelash curler hatred due to my friend curling my eyelashes when I was about 13 and tearing my eyelid skin. Friends don't let friends rip each others eyelid skin.



(All photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping out, great information.The article posted was very informative and useful. You people are doing a great job. Keep going.
    Business Cards
    Popcorn Boxes
    Pillow Boxes
    Wine Boxes
    Perfume Boxes

    ReplyDelete