Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Everyday Makeup : Tutorial


A few days ago, I had a post about my everyday makeup, where I showed you what products I use most days. After posting that, I realized that maybe it would be helpful to show you how I use these products. This look is fairly natural and it takes me about about 10 to 15 minutes to do the entire look. The full tutorial after the jump!




No makeup!


Fitz! He really wanted to be in my lap the entire time I was trying to shoot this, so I felt it necessary to include a picture of him.


My first step (after moisturizer) is to apply my foundation. I use Laura Mercier Creme Tinted Moisturizer in Blush. Honestly, I'm rocking my winter pale right now and this is a just a smidge too dark for me, but only a smidge. I've hit pan on this and am going to Sephora this weekend to buy more.


After foundation, looking a little more evened out.


 My under eye concealer is my next step and I always use the Maybelline Age Rewind in Light. This is really light weight, moisturizing, and has good pigment to it. It doesn't cover dark circles completely, but I'm ok with that.



If you noticed, I apply the concealer to the top inner third of my eye, the tear duct area, and the bottom inner third. I don't apply any further than that on the bottom, because my circles don't really extend that far and it doesn't make much sense to cover something that isn't there. It's the same reason I go up around the tear duct, I get darkness there, so I cover it. I put a bit of concealer on the top portion so that everything is cohesive.

A little more polished...


Now, in my last post, I showed you Smashbox's Halo Hydrating Powder, but this is the other product that I use. It's L'Oreal's True Match Powder in No. 2 warm (I think it's No. 2...). I just dab this over my T-zone and on the areas where I applied concealer.


Now, you might have noticed that I have a zit on my cheek or maybe you didn't notice until right now, but I'm choosing to leave it uncovered. It's a new zit (sigh...) and I don't ever try to cover these because I feel like they need to breathe so that they're able to heal. Maybe that's dumb, but I hate to cake concealer on something that might turn into a whitehead.



My next step is primer and I've been using Tarte's Creaseless Eyeshadow Primer. I use a tiny amount, you can see that on the tip of my finger. A little bit of primer goes a long way, so if you've never used primer before, start slowly and build up if you need to.


And the Stila trio! I use the Bare Minerals brush, but you can't see the eyeshadow brush end in this picture. I use the fluffy eye brush for all the shadows because I'm going for a well blended look.


 I apply the lightest shade all over the lid, into the tear duct region, and up on the brown bone.


I then take the middle shade and blend it lightly into the outer corner and the crease.


I take a small amount of the darkest shade and put it on the outer corner and a little bit into the crease. You can see that none of this is very dark and that's the point, I don't want it to be dark, I just want a little bit of shimmer and depth.


I move on to my liquid liner after that and I use Maybelline's Line Stiletto. Best liquid liner ever. Ever.


I would suppose that this is the only part of my look that isn't exactly natural. I have fairly round eyes and when I have a winged eye, it looks like my eye is extended and not so round.


And mascara. I'm using They're Real by Benefit at the time being, but I change my mascara often, so this is probably just what I'm using until I move on to my next sample (which is either Lancome's Hypnose Star or a Shiseido sample I got).


And the finished eye look. You can see that my lids have a bit of a gradient effect, which is what I'm going for every day. I keep the inside portion of my eyes light so that it makes me look more awake and it also creates more space so that my eyes look a little more wideset. I have the outside portion darker to add depth and help diffuse the starkness of the liner.


Next up is blush and highlighter (no picture of the highlighter, sorry!). Coralista blush by Benefit and Mineralize Skinfinsh by Mac in Redhead. I apply the blush to the apples of my cheeks because I have a naturally long face and it adds roundness. If you have a rounder face, try applying blush closer to the bottom of your cheekbones and brush it backward. I put my highlighter on the tops of my cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose, my chin, and my forehead.



And last, but not lease, chapstick. It's been frigidly cold here, so chapstick has been my go to the last few weeks.


And the finished look!


What do you guys do for your everyday makeup; do you stay natural or do you go dramatic? Let me know in the comments down below!



No comments:

Post a Comment