Saturday, January 26, 2013

Face of the Day : January 25


I've shown you all what I do for my everyday makeup, but what about the days that I break from the norm? Well, for those days, I have a post titled "Face of the Day" (FOTD) where I show you what the look is and what products I used to create the look.

For today, I decided to stay pretty natural, but change it from my regular "natural" look. I played around with my blush, added a lip color, and changed the eyes. Keep reading for swatches and the products used for this look.




Here are all the products I used on my eyes and if you will notice, there is no liquid liner!

1) I used the Kat Von D True Romance Pigments in Meditation. I got this on sale at Sephora and I don't even think that they carry this product line anymore. You can find plenty of other brands that carry pigments though. MAC has great pigments and Bare Minerals loose shadows are also amazing. This particular shade is kind of a rosy copper color that reflects gold in some light. Very, very pretty.

2) TheBalm Meet Matte shadow in Matt Batali. I used this on the outer V of my eye and part of the way into the crease. This is a matte plum shadow and doesn't have the greatest pigmentation, but I wasn't going for something really dark, so it worked for this look. It's fun to play with different eyeshadow textures and blend them together. Try working a shimmer and a matter into the same look sometime, you'll like what you see.

3) Revlon Luxurious Color Smoky Crayon in Smoky Bronze. Again, sorry, but I think that this is a discontinued product. This is basically a chubby pencil that applies a thicker, "smoky" line. I used this on my eyelid and below my eye. The most similar products to this are the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils or for higher end, the Stila Smudge Crayon Waterproof Eye Color.

4) Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black. A tried and true mascara; gives a nice natural look for me and is comparable to Maybelline Full 'N Soft. The only issue I have with this mascara at the moment, is that this little tube is flaking on me. I have used High Impact before without flaking, so I think it's an isolated issue.






Swatches of Matt Batali and Meditation.



This is after about 8 hours of wear. As you can see, it's a very natural eye look, light on the mascara, shimmery lid with just a bit of color on the outer corner. One issue with taking photos of makeup is that to have it appear in photos, you often have to apply a lot more than you would normally wear. Since this was my actual makeup today and not just applied for a tutorial, I didn't apply for a photo. Imagine this being a bit darker in real life and you'll get the gist.


For the cheeks, I used two products that, when next to one other, look like they clash in every way imaginable. 

On the left: Sephora Brand Cream Blush in Coral Flush. This is essentially NARS Orgasm, but in a cream formula and marketed under the Sephora brand name. I have no other way to describe this color; it might be a tad more on the orange side than Orgasm, but that's the main difference. Well, that and price.
On the right: e.l.f. Studio Blush in Pink Passion. I told you guys that there were e.l.f. products that I liked! This is a very cool toned pink that I like to refer to as Barbie blush. It is so so pink and so so pigmented that the only person in my mind that wears this is Barbie. I like to use this color to layer with other blushes. I layered this over the Sephora cream blush to down a bit of the warmth and dewiness that accompanies cream blushes.


It doesn't work when you see the shades next to each other, but it works when you apply them. Believe me, it just does.

And last, but definitely not least, the NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover. This is a very rosy pink shade with golden shimmer, so something that is easy and works on most skin tones. On light skin, this gives a natural flush to the lips, while on darker skin, it gives a nice little pop of color. The pigmentation on this is awesome, so I think I'm going to have to buy a different color and give it a try.


And there you have it, my FOTD. What did you wear today? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment